- To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
- To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and
observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
- To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
- To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
- To quit my post only when properly relieved.
- To receive, obey, and pass on the sentry who relieves me all orders
from the commanding officer, field officer of the day, officer of the
day, and officers and noncommissioned officers of the guard only.
- To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
- To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
- To call the corporal of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.
- To salute all officers, and all colors and standards not cased.
- To be especially watchful at night and, during the time for challenging,
to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass
without proper authority.